STANDING ROCK COMPOST TOILET PROJECT AT STANDING ROCK
Protectors Alliance & GiveLove
are in partnership, working with the Standing Rock Tribal Leadership to bring composting toilets and ecologically viable sanitation systems to Standing Rock.
The GiveLove Project was founded by actress Patricia Arquette in response to the devastating earthquake in Haiti in 2010. GiveLove now works with international governments, universities, communities and organizations to provide technical support, training, open source materials, consultancy and implementation of compost sanitation solutions.
We are on the ground NOW and beginning to implement these systems at Standing Rock and we need YOUR HELP!
- The Standing Rock Compost Toilet Project is a collaborative project between Protectors Alliance, GiveLove and the Standing Rock Sioux Tribe.
- This project was identified by all parties as a key infrastructure requirement to ensure the survival of the camps at Standing Rock throughout the winter as well as the long term survival of the Standing Rock indigenous movement to protect tribal lands and waters.
- Currently the camp is dependent on chemical toilet to meet its sanitation needs, however these toilets will not function in the approaching winter months, as they will freeze unless harmful environmental pollutants are added. Thus funding for this project is urgent.
- An added benefit to this project is that it also has the potential to address long-term sustainability goals aimed at improving basic sanitation conditions on other Indian reservations through Indian Country.
- The Standing Rock Compost Toilet project is also being considered as a pilot project, to address long-term sustainability goals aimed at improving basic sanitation conditions on Native American reservations, as part of our combined commitment to introduce ecologically-sound technologies and systems.
- Standing Rock leadership has directed Give Love and Protectors Alliance to continue with the Composting Toilet project even in light of the recent threats from Army Corps of Engineers. Standing Rock will stand its ground on December 5, and if the protestors are moved, the Standing Rock Composting Toilets will move too. Now that the plan is clear, we are moving into the next phase of this project and we can begin installing the compost toilet structures throughout the camp.
- Protectors Alliance is coordinating skilled workers from the festival industry to complete the installation onsite . GiveLove's technical team will teach people at Standing Rock to use and manage the compost toilets and establish a fully functional compost treatment site.